Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
130 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 01 August 2001 18:03 «» By: Wayne_Parham
Re: H290 vs CH3
Both the CH-3 and the H290 are good horns. They each have pros and cons. The CH-3 does look flimsy, I agree. When I first saw it, I was skeptical about its performance. But it provides amazingly flat response and good coverage. The CH-3 has a diffract...
2 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 26 July 2001 18:46 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Flares for PSD2002 in Theater Four Pi.
I prefer radial horns to pure CD horns. What I like is constant directivity in the horizontal plane and collapsing directivity in the vertical plane. This improves uniformity of the reverberent field because the energy distribution around the room is nea...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 13 July 2001 16:09 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Sound and perception of sound
Nice post! I wouldn't dream of deleting it. I agree with you, by the way, 100%. In addition to amplitude response, I think the impulse response is important, and I think a large dynamic range is important too. Another item that is rarely considered is ...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 27 June 2001 01:00 «» By: Wayne Parham
Driving motivation
I agree with you. I prefer the effortless dynamic range of a high efficiency speaker, and the low distortion of a driver used at 1/100th the power it was designed to handle.I design loudspeakers because the choices I would make aren't found anywhere else....
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 28 May 2001 02:24 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Pi Speakers for HT use?
It's a DI-matched two-way horn loudspeaker, meaning crossover is made where the direct radiating midwoofer narrows to match the directivity of the tweeter horn. This provides smooth on-axis and off-axis response, smooth directivity and a more uniform reve...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:31 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Stage monitors -- doubled Pi 4s?
The four Pi loudspeaker is designed to use a midwoofer and tweeter, and the crossover frequency and positions chosen were selected so that the directivity is matched at the crossover point. The woofer pattern begins to narrow from being almost omnidirecti...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 10 May 2001 12:44 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Thanks for the reply
All speakers beam at high frequency, depending on their dimensions. Even a 5" midrange will begin to beam above about 3kHz. That's where it's angular coverage has collapsed to a 90 degree cone shape. It will continue to get more and more narrow above th...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 09 May 2001 02:35 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Probable dumb question - Where's the midrange driver?
That's a very good question. Thanks for asking, giving me the opportunity to explain.The three Pi and four Pi loudspeakers are what I call DI-matched two-ways. They have a high-efficiency midwoofer that operates through the midrange, into the overtone ra...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 30 April 2001 22:46 «» By: Wayne Parham
Pi horn design philosophies
Pi Speakers are best described as high-efficiency, controlled directivity loudspeakers. They've always used high-efficiency drivers like those from Eminence and JBL. They evolved from my early designs concentrating mostly on flat amplitude response to ha...
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 09 April 2001 20:47 «» By: Wayne_Parham
Making speakers "disappear"
Sometimes, I hear phrases like "prat," "soundstage" and this particular one - "making speakers disappear" - and I'm somewhat at a loss for what the person is trying to describe. Could be a lot of things, so I have to try and ...
Pages (13): [ «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13]

Current Time: Sat May 18 16:25:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio