Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Skip Pack -question on coil for Two Towers.
Skip Pack -question on coil for Two Towers. [message #49507] Sun, 21 May 2006 16:33 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Skip, I seem to recall that you said you had changed the coil in your Towers to a lower value. I know I wrote down the value and brand someplace, as well as the difference it made, but seem to have misplaced my notes from GPAF. Could you reiterate thos details for me again?

Shane

Re: Skip Pack -question on coil for Two Towers. [message #49509 is a reply to message #49507] Mon, 22 May 2006 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip is currently offline  Skip
Chancellor
Hi Shane,

I understand there's a new amp in your life. I'me interested
to hear how it sounds on your towers once you've changed the
coils, and possibly the caps.

I built 3 2Pi Towers, 2 Studio 1Pis, and 2 Studio 2Pis with
the original coils. I replaced original coils with 14 guage
coils from North Creek Music on each of those speaker models,
always with a clear improvement. I've used .5, .6, and .7mh
coils, and don't have a clear opinion on which is best. I
think, but don't know, that the large value may smooth some
at the top of the 10" drivers range. I expect that most of
the improvement comes from the lowered DCR.

I'm using 10mf motor run caps I got from ebay (new) on the
Studio 2 Pis (four of them). With the Vifa tweeter, they are
very smooth, and I like smooth. It was a shame that you had
to leave before I had my system up and running (Sunday). It
worked pretty well in the small room.

Skip Pack

Re: Skip Pack -question on coil for Two Towers. [message #49510 is a reply to message #49509] Mon, 22 May 2006 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Skip. I did miss not being able to hear them.

Are you still using the 20 ohm (????) resistor across the tweeter, also?

Shane

Re: Skip Pack -question on coil for Two Towers. [message #49511 is a reply to message #49510] Mon, 22 May 2006 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I left the resistor Wayne supplied in place. I put in new wire
end-to-end because you have to mount the replacement coil (they are
big and heavy) to a speaker panel, but it was schematically
identical to stock. I did add resistors across the piezo's
in the older speakers to help suppress potential gainclone
instability. You don't have piezos, I believe, and the resistors
are there to make the crossover work.

North Creek sells very nice resistors for that application,
but I'm less sure it would matter, while the nice coils
are a sure bet.

Skip

Kit components [message #49513 is a reply to message #49511] Mon, 22 May 2006 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Kits are shipped with a Jantzen 18 guage 0.5mH coil on the midwoofer, and a Solen 10uF cap on the tweeter. The damping resistor across the tweeter is a 16 ohm, 10 watt non-inductive part. There's still room for upgrades, but what we're including in the stock kits are very good components. Originally we were using Dayton caps and generic coils, both of which were pretty good. But I think the parts we're using now are a little better and match the sonics of the drivers very well. Makes for a very good sounding speaker.

Makes Sense [message #49514 is a reply to message #49513] Mon, 22 May 2006 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The coils I replaced were the much smaller guage earlier ones, and I
would expect that the 18 ga. Jantzens are discernably better. I expect
that the difference in caps is subtle. In any case the speakers always
sounded good.

Skip

Re: Skip Pack -question on coil for Two Towers. [message #49516 is a reply to message #49509] Mon, 22 May 2006 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Quote Skip: I understand there's a new amp in your life. I'd be interested to hear how it sounds on your towers once you've changed the coils, and possibly the caps.

Well, I don't have it quite yet. I've put a deposit down on it and plan on getting it in a couple weeks while it's gone over and tested/tweaked. Looking forward to hearing it on the stock Towers, then we'll decide on new parts or not.

Re: Kit components [message #49521 is a reply to message #49513] Tue, 23 May 2006 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Your kit compents are all fine & they all sound very good stock. Even though I like to experiment with upgraded caps and coils myself, I wouldn't want any boutique parts in the kits because they all cost so much and everyone has different preferences. Whether someone likes Mundorf, Auricaps, Jupiters, or some other flavor is a matter of each system, room, and personal taste. If you put these boutique parts in the kits to start off with, the prices would go sky high and they still wouldn't be the first choice for everyone. Experimenting with all of these is part of fun for DIY personalities.

Re: Makes Sense [message #49522 is a reply to message #49514] Tue, 23 May 2006 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Good to know. I still am ending up turning the treble down on my NAD Bee integrated to listen. It just seems to be a wee bit hot. The good thing about the bass and treble controls on the NAD is that they really only attenuate those frequencies. So if you adjust the bass it doesn't affect the mids at all. Treble adjustment is the same way.
It's probably just the amp. When I get the 12B4 we'll see what they sound like then.

Re: Kit components [message #49523 is a reply to message #49521] Tue, 23 May 2006 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree. I always use good technologies like poly caps, and I try to find companies that sell components like those at a good price. The Solens and Jantzen components are marginally more expensive than generics, but I thought they were worth it on the one π and two π speakers and kits. Likewise, I use an Erse Super Q coil on seven π woofers because I think it is worth the small additional cost over a generic in that particular component location.

I like to use premium components in the Grande models but don't think their cost justifies using them in kits; As you've said, the prices would skyrocket (more than double in some cases), and the results may not justify the costs. And, as you've said, some would have different preferences, so it seems the best way is to go with good quality generics, and people can upgrade where they see fit, if they feel the need.

Previous Topic: theater 4pi boxes- free
Next Topic: Studio .5 pi idea
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 22:29:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout