Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Sub for Heresy's
Sub for Heresy's [message #51749] Tue, 22 January 2008 13:55 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm thinking about adding a sub this summer to help my Heresy's reach more of their potential. The Heresy's roll off pretty easily and I believe the specs for it are around 55hz. Any ideas for a relatively similar sized sub (powered is fine)?

Wayne--do you have any smaller sub designs in the books?

Re: Sub for Heresy's [message #51750 is a reply to message #51749] Tue, 22 January 2008 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd go with a three π sub if you needed it to be small (about 4ft3) or a four π-18 sub if you could use a larger box (about 10ft3).

Re: Sub for Heresy's [message #51751 is a reply to message #51750] Tue, 22 January 2008 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Basically build a bottom end of the 3pi or 4pi with a built in amp? I wonder if it would be suitable to make it so the Heresy's could sit on top of the cabinets?

Re: Sub for Heresy's [message #51752 is a reply to message #51751] Tue, 22 January 2008 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's not quite what they are but you could sure do that. The three π sub uses an Eminence LAB12 woofer in a bass-reflex box tuned to 20Hz. The four π-18 sub uses a JBL 2245 in a bass-reflex box tuned to 30Hz. I'll send you the plans and you can see if one of them will work for you.

Thanks! [message #51753 is a reply to message #51752] Tue, 22 January 2008 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

May I have the plans also? [message #51754 is a reply to message #51752] Tue, 22 January 2008 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Kopson is currently offline  Patrick Kopson
Chancellor
Thank you.

You've got mail! [message #51755 is a reply to message #51754] Tue, 22 January 2008 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad to do it [message #51756 is a reply to message #51753] Tue, 22 January 2008 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

7Pi bottoms [message #51758 is a reply to message #51749] Wed, 23 January 2008 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne, what is the low end on your 7pi bottoms? I'm wondering if these would work as a compliment to the Heresy's with a little xover tweeking. Change the dimensions some to work with the cabinet dims of the Klipsch's (15.5" wide x 13.25" deep). I could then biamp running one to the Heresy's and one to the bottoms. I'm basing this purely on asthetic reasoning as I'm not looking to listen to movies or anything with these so I'm not sure I'd need a "pure" sub. Just a rambling thought.

Room gain, pressure region, modal region and reverberent region [message #51764 is a reply to message #51758] Thu, 24 January 2008 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The seven π bass bin is overdamped so it conjugates nicely with the bass lift from room gain and corner loading.

See the charts below. The first one is the response of the cabinet if it were placed in free space. It is overdamped and has a gradual rolloff curve. It needs to have a curve like this because lower frequencies below the modal region tend to pressurize the room rather than develop standing waves. This causes bass boost and would make the speaker to sound boomy if it didn't have this resonse curve. The second curve shows response with room gain.

http://www.pispeakers.com/misc/Bass_response_without_room_gain.gif
Bass response without room gain

http://www.pispeakers.com/misc/Bass_response_with_room_gain.gif
Bass response including room gain

There are three distinct frequency ranges in a room and sound acts differently in each of these regions. The first region is the pressure range where the room is uniformly pressurized, below about 20-30Hz. The second region is the modal range where standing wave nodes form, between 20-30Hz and 150-200Hz. The third region is the reverberent range, above about 200Hz.

The pressure mode is at low frequencies with wavelengths longer than any dimension of the room. This causes a uniform bass boost of approximately 12dB/octave. Boost is greatest in small, tight rooms and least in large rooms with lots of open doors.

The next region is the modal range where at least one dimension of the room develops standing waves. The modal range usually starts around 20-30Hz and ends around 150-200Hz. In the modal range, pockets form throughout the room in 3D space where bass notes are either louder or softer, depending on frequency and position. Standing wave nodes constructively or destructively combine to form the pockets of louder or softer bass.

Standing wave modes are spaced far apart at the lowest frequencies of the modal range, which makes them the most noticeable. As frequency rises, the separation between modes gets closer and closer to a point where you can't tell them apart. When the bandwidth of each node is wider than the separation between nodes, there is no longer any clear distinction between nodes. Above this point, called the Schroeder frequency, the sound in the room forms a reverberent field.

Previous Topic: Where are enclosure plans?
Next Topic: 12Pi dado dept
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 11:51:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout