Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Yet another 511B Update!
Yet another 511B Update! [message #42047] Mon, 28 July 2003 17:26 Go to next message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
In the last update I recommended damping the back cover of the driver. This did yield a very substantial improvement. I enjoyed them that way for quite a while, but gradually became aware of a subtle haze and glare in the HF. Eventually I could not ignore it. I tried changing wire and level (padding- at this point I have quite a collection of non-inductive wirewound resistors). Through all the various changes I could hear the same sonic character. I next tried taking off the back cover of the drivers. There was possibly some improvement, but I wasn't sure. What to do?

Solution (Part 1): I had used a lower cost but more cosmetically pleasing (black, textured) damping material (VE-1 from Parts Express)for the horn lips. I had heard an obvious improvement when I installed it (the VE-1). I suspected that it was not as effective as the Dynamat (it didn't seem to reduce vibration as much), so I replaced it with the Dynamat Xtreme. Wow! Major improvement. I enjoyed the newly improved sound for a while but gradually became aware of some residual haze and glare. More wire and level changes with no improvement.

Solution (Part 2): I decided to take off the back coverss. I ran impedance curves with and w/o the cover. There were multiple peaks - removing the cover increased the magnitude of the lowest peak but none of the peaks shifted in frequency. I took off the back cover, cut thick open-cell foam rings and replaced the covers. I theorized that the chamber behind the diaphram was providing some stiffness loading and that the foam rings would aperiodically damp the air chamber behind the diaphram. No improvement. Not surprising because there was no shift in frequency of any of the peaks (no evidence of stiffness loading). So, I tried them without the cover. Whoa! Major improvement! Cleaned up most of the haze, increased HF extension and resolution and provided a marked improvement in perceived dynamics.

If the cover is placed behind the diaphram the haze returns, so the improvement is probably due to the elimination of reflections. Interestingly, this mode of operation had been suggested (by Steve Schell as I recall). At the time I expressed concern about the need for loading the diaphram and a loss of power handling. Well, as mentioned above, stiffness loading of the diaphram does not seem to be an issue. There was no perceived loss of level at the lower end of the horns range in my speakers (500 Hz xover). There may be a loss of power handling but not a practical one for home use. The sound remains clean well past sane levels (just jazz, swing band and light rock).

The saga continues,

AstroSonic

Re: Yet another 511B Update! [message #42050 is a reply to message #42047] Mon, 28 July 2003 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for your opinions. You might want to get in touch with Adam Bird, who is doing something much like you describe. You guys might team up on the matter and quantify the effects of the compression driver's rear chamber. Check out the post called "PSD 2002 modifications," where Adam is thinking along the same lines as you are. And in a follow up post, he has indicated that Eminence has shown some interest. So definitely get in touch and you guys keep us posted on what you find.
Re: Yet another 511B Update! [message #42067 is a reply to message #42047] Thu, 31 July 2003 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Story is currently offline  Story
Esquire
when you say around the horn lips, could you elaborate on this? thanks...

Re: Yet another 511B Update! [message #42069 is a reply to message #42067] Thu, 31 July 2003 12:57 Go to previous message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
By the 'lips' I mean the strongly curved part of the horn mouth, in front of the flange (i.e., the 'lips' of the horn mouth). I put the Dynamat on the exterior surface, not inside the mouth. From most seated locations in my living room, the aluminum surface of the dynamat is not visible. Glad to answer any questions.

Regards,

AstroSonic

Previous Topic: pi one question
Next Topic: basshorn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 03:04:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers